my liverpool fc



Forex Live Market Analysis 2010

Most Reliable Sport Betting Prediction
Make Huge Affiliate Commission with RSS Content

Fernando Torres: I’ll fulfil the fans' dreams

Fernando Torres: I’ll fulfil the fans' dreams

Jul 5 2007

by Nick Smith, Liverpool Daily Post

Fernando Torres signs in at Anfield alongside manager Rafael Benitez

FERNANADO Torres announced his arrival at Anfield yesterday by telling Liverpool fans: “I want to make your dreams come true.”

The Spanish striker completed the move that makes him the club’s record signing for a final fee believed to be in the region of £20million.

His desire to leave the club he grew up with, Atletico Madrid, eventually forced them to lower their initial asking price of £27million to allow Torres to fulfil his ambition of moving to Liverpool.

He immediately outlined his commitment to his new club by declaring that he wouldn't have left his homeland for anyone else – and he intends to prove it by keeping up his prolific goalscoring record.

“I know the expectations are extremely high and I know that people are really keen to see me score lots of goals,” said Torres. “Well, I’m just as keen to fulfil all their hopes and desires.

“I don’t see it as a problem settling into any style of play, I think I can adapt to any sort of circumstances.

“The main thing is I’m coming here very positive, wanting to settle in as quickly as possible and work very, very hard to make sure that all people’s expectations are fulfilled.

“Liverpool as a club doesn’t need to be sold to any player – any player in the world would be proud to come here as an individual.

“So the confidence that had been shown in me by the club and manager from the very first time I spoke to him, that was enough to open all the doors in terms of coming here.”

As Rafael Benitez celebrated landing his top summer target, he backed the 23-year-old to shrug off the burden of his transfer fee and adapt successfully to Premiership life.

Similar hopes for the last big-money buy from Spain that Benitez added to his forward line, Fernando Morientes, were unfulfilled.

The £6.3million buy from Real Madrid managed only 12 goals in 61 Liverpool appearances, but the manager said: “Torres is 23 and desperate to win trophies, plus he is more physical than Fernando Morientes.

“Morientes had great ability and is showing that now again in Spain, but Torres is more physical and he is used to fighting by himself up front.

“He can play isolated by himself or alongside another striker no problem. He has been fighting against the best defences in Spain by himself for seven years. “He was seven years with Atletico and every day, every game they were always talking about him. He knows all about pressure and he has shown he can handle it.”

And Torres is confident of coping with the physical aspects of English defences, and the greater tolerance referees in the Premiership have of them.

He added: “I don’t think adapting to the style of play will be a problem.

“I’ve watched English football a lot in great detail and I’m aware that refs let a lot more go in this country and it’s harder to get a free-kick here than in Spain.

“I’ve also spoken to other players who play here at the club currently so I’m well prepared and it doesn’t hold any fears for me.”

Torres was unveiled at Anfield yesterday afternoon but had spent the morning in Madrid giving a farewell press conference at Atletico's’ home the Vicente Calderon, where he admitted: “It has been a difficult decision to leave my all-time club.

“But it would have been hard for me to reject Liverpool’s offer. It is a big leap for me and I think it was the right thing for everyone.

“It’s one of the best, if not the best, clubs in Europe.”

Labels:

0 Responses to “Fernando Torres: I’ll fulfil the fans' dreams”

Post a Comment

Google

Links

  • MySolveware
  • I Love Kuala Lumpur
  • Online Exam Tips
  • Shrek 3 Wallpaper
  • Miss Universe 2007 Pic
  • Kuala Lumpur Hotel
  • Funny Picture


XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 my liverpool fc | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health